Properly chosen kids’ room wallpaper builds up positive emotions and cheerful mood in the children, so this part of your home requires an absolutely thorough approach to the selection of finishing materials.
Children’s room wallpaper selection criteria.
The most important criteria as to the choice of children’s room wallpaper are:
- Safety and Eco-friendliness. The wallpaper should not contain potentially harmful chemicals. Opt for non-sensitizing materials that are made of safe, non-toxic components.
- Durability. Good wallpaper withstands the destructive impact of all children’s activities.
- Hygienic properties. The wallpaper should not absorb dust and smells. Ideally, the wall finish material in the children’s room should be washable or otherwise cleanable.
Other hints to take into account when selecting wallpaper for a US kid’s room are:
- The wall finish material should be “breathing,” as this maintains a healthy micro-climate in the room.
- The choice of wallpaper design and pattern should comply with the child’s age and interests.
- The wallpaper should be convenient and simple to see after.
- Avoid finishing a preschoolers room with very expensive wallpaper, as young children tend to leave imprints of their creativity on the walls.
- Consider the room’s dimensions. Photo wallpaper and juicy or dark shades compress the space visually.
- Don’t rush to completely avoid black and other dark colors in the children’s part of your home. These shades embody the night, peaceful sleep and rest. But allow only for a reasonable amount of black to prevent a depressing impact.
Types of wallpaper for children’s rooms.
- Paper wallpaper is the optimal idea for finishing the walls in the kids’ room. It’s a budget and Eco-friendly material that usually includes no synthetic additions or harmful chemicals, which makes it suitable even for an infant’s room. The only disadvantage of paper is that it’s neither durable nor water resistant. But try to turn this drawback to good account. Since this wallpaper type is usually rather cheap, you can allow the children to practice their artistic skills directly on the walls.
- Liquid wallpaper resembles decorative plaster with speckles of inorganic or plant fiber. It’s a hard-wearing, safe, washable and repaint-able material, soft and slightly grainy at touch. The porous, “breathing” structure provides a decent level of heat and noise insulation. Liquid wallpaper offers a vast variety of colors, textures, designs and patterns, which makes it suitable for any children’s room interior. The only disadvantage of the material is its high price.
- Photo wallpaper brightens up the children’s room and can be used to separate the space into areas. Its not too cheap, so you better opt for photo wallpaper with the “anti-vandal” surface coating that protects the decorative layer. With that, you’ll be able to remove stains with the help of an ordinary cleaning product. This wallpaper type offers an incredibly vast range of images, which makes it suitable for finishing a room for children of any age.
- Bamboo and cork wallpapers are the most organic finishing materials that contribute to maintaining the necessary level of humidity in the room, creating a healing atmosphere. Such wall finish is durable and hard-wearing, nice at touch and sound-insulating; it neither attracts nor absorbs dust. Bamboo and cork wallpaper has an original, jungle-reminding look, and most children are fond of the jungle!
- Vinyl wallpaper is the most suitable wall finish material for a teenager’s room. It is durable and washable, does not fade, and conceals minor wall surface defects. Vinyl’s peculiar structure allows for imitating any surface, even brickwork or stonework.
- Non-woven wallpaper is durable, elastic and safe; you can repaint it up to 10 times. The disadvantages are high price and few patterns available.
Important note! Be informed that some USA experts don’t recommend non-woven and vinyl wallpapers for kid’s rooms. They argue that these materials are “non-breathing” and have a bad influence on the micro climate of the room. The trendy and fashionable velour wallpaper is also to avoid, as the material is highly dust-accumulating.
Choosing wallpaper according to the child’s age.
The child’s age is the crucial determining factor in choosing the wallpaper. Each age group requires a certain wallpaper type, texture and color.
- Babies, age 0-2. Their main activity is sleeping, so the ideal solution is wallpaper of gentle, soothing pastel colors that facilitate relaxation.
- Toddlers, age 2-5. Their range of interests is wider, so choose a brighter wallpaper. If your child has a sedate temper, photo wallpaper depicting cartoon characters are good, but if the kid is agile, opt for calmer shades and patterns.
- Preschoolers and junior schoolchildren, age 5-9. Children of this age already have hobbies and favorite leisure pursuits. A useful idea is to select a wall finish that corresponds to the child’s interests. For instance, the so-called “marker wallpaper” allows for drawing on the walls, which a young artist will appreciate. A popular option is the wallpaper with some educational information printed on it – such as the alphabet or pictures and names of plants and animals.
- If the child is 9 or older, it’s safe to entrust the choice of wallpaper to him or her. The children’s opinion should be the determining factor, as the room is their territory and they should feel comfortable, cozy and safe in there.